This picture is from the Collection of Galloway Darby and the restoration was done by Betty Phillips.
Picture taken ca 1900. Notice no cars or car tracks in the dirt street. The sidewalks were wooden and there was a well in the middle of the street to water the horses. This was the Salt City complex. It housed several businesses such as clothing, hardware, groceries, etc. There were partitions between each store with openings between so people could go from one store to the other. Maybe a version of our modern malls. All the buildings and all the businesses were owned by Mr. Persons. His son was named J. E. Persons.
The doors were left open for air circulation. The poles and lines in the picture indicate they had electric ceiling fans by then. Some of the pictures of the inside of the stores show them. There are telegraph poles over on the left by the railroad. You can see on the signs over the awning indicating what type of merchandise they sold.
The building was built from bricks made on site behind the building. It is the only one in town with an elevator and one of the stores has a walk in safe.
OPHGR website created and maintained by Patsy Vinson, webmaster.
Webmaster Note: This is a free site. All information contained herein is copyrighted by the webmaster/owner of Organization for the Preservation of Historical and Genealogical Records known as "OPHGR" . The information and images shown on this site are Not public domain and should not be taken without the owner's permission in writing.